Yes, the 1899 death was by the same Cornell chapter and almost the exact ritual that killed Mortimer Leggett in 1873.
While the father of Leggett forgave the hazers and even accepted KAS membership in his son’s memory, Berkeley’s father was bitter and unforgiving.
18) 1905 High School Hazing (Lima, Ohio) Death following an initiation William Taylor, 13, died of pneumonia following an episode where he was rough-housed outdoors in winter by older students.
19) 1906 Hilliard High School (Columbus, Ohio) Class Hazing The New York Times reported that representatives of the family of Cecil F.
Because Berkeley’s wife was in very poor health, the news was kept from her for quite some time.
Like Leggett, courts at the time almost always considered only harsh physical hazing to actually BE hazing.
Please email Hank Nuwer if you have more information). He was being put through the initiation when one of the hazers accidentally fell upon him. Thomas Finley Brown, 12, Is dead from injuries received while being hazed at tho Porter military academy last Monday.
6) 1899 Cornell University (New York) Kappa Alpha Society Pledge Edward F.
Source: Evening Bulletin, Maysville, Kentucky” 12) 1903 University of Maryland, Baltimore campus Phi Psi Chi Inadequate forensic techniques of the day were unable to provide an exact cause of death other than “congestion of the lungs” for Martin Loew following a hazing by fellow students of the local dental fraternity that left Loew’s body bruised. While Mc Bride was hazed, his death of sepsis occurred five months later.
13) 1903 Bluffton High School (Indiana) Secret Society Ten young men went on trial following the death of “L of S. A criminal trial failed to show the death definitely was linked to Mc Bride’s hazing, according to the Indianapolis Journal of December 27, 1903. 16) 1904 Rawson School (Findlay, Ohio) Alleged Schoolboy hazing I have confirmed that Freddie Fillwock died.
Moore died following a snapped neck in a traditional fight between first- and second-year students. The basin was dry at the time and tho lad received internal injuries from the fall.
10) 1900 United States Military Academy (New York) Illness that revealed hazing abuses Although the death of plebe Oscar Booz was considered illness-caused by a committee of inquiry, those members of the U. House of Representatives on the committee determined that he also had been hazed maliciously by upperclassmen. C Porter Military Academy (South Carolina) Accident during hazing. Before he died he did not give the names of the cadets who had mistreated him, and It Is said no action will be taken In the matter.
Torrance died of illness following a drenching with iced water during a hazing custom called “freshman visitation,” according to then-President Edward Hitchcock of Amherst.